Eligibility for lifePLUS Protect
If you’ve left the ADF after 12 months continuous service and you’ve kept your ADF Super account, you’re eligible for lifePLUS Protect cover. An insurance product that’s designed especially for you.
Who gets lifePLUS Protect cover automatically?
As a former ADF member, you’re eligible for lifePLUS Protect default Death and Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) cover the day after you leave the ADF, as long as you meet these conditions:
- You are at least 16 but under 70 years old.
- You are 25 or older and you have $6,000 or more in your ADF Super account
- You served in the ADF for more than 12 months in a row before leaving
- You were not receiving a Class A or B invalidity benefit when you left the ADF or up to 60 days after the date you left the ADF
- You are an Australian resident who has a valid Visa that allows you to live and work in Australia.
Who has to opt in to get it?
If you’re under 25 or have a super balance below $6,000 and you’d like to opt in to lifePLUS Protect default cover, let us know within 60 days of leaving the ADF in one of the following ways:
- By logging into your account, then going to the insurance section online and clicking the Keep my Insurance button
- By emailing us to let us know you’d like to take out default lifePLUS Protect cover.
Who can apply for cover?
If you’ve been medically discharged and have an ADF Cover Class A or Class B invalidity pension, you can apply for lifePLUS Protect choice insurance by completing a full insurance application.
You will be eligible to apply for lifePLUS Protect cover at any time if you are a customer with ADF Super.
Who's not eligible for cover?
- If you work for another employer and the ADF at the same time, you’re not eligible for lifePLUS Protect cover.
- If you return to ADF service, you won’t be eligible for lifePLUS Protect (you’ll have ADF Cover while you’re serving).
- Age-based restrictions apply to cover, for example:
- If you are over 65 or older, you’re not eligible for automatic cover (though you can apply for Death and TPD cover through a full insurance application process up to age 69). If you have Death and TPD cover, it stops at age 70
- If you are over 65 or older, you cannot apply for Income Protection insurance. If you have Income Protection cover, it stops at age 65.
Apply for Income Protection cover or increase your cover
If you’re eligible for insurance cover, and you’d like to add Income Protection to the mix or increase your Death and TPD cover, just log into your account and apply for lifePLUS Protect choice. An insurance application process applies to new and increased insurance applications.
If you’re not sure how much cover you need, get in touch with us, or download our Insurance Calculation Sheet and take a look at our worked examples.
How to reduce or cancel your cover
Reduce or cancel your cover at any time by logging into your account, then going to the insurance section.
Similarly, you can jump online to opt out of automatic cover if it’s not for you. And if you opt out within 60 days of receiving your Welcome Advice from us, we'll refund insurance premiums you've already paid.
It’s worth noting that if you’d like cover in the future, you’ll probably have to apply for it and go through a full insurance application process.
When does my cover start?
If you're eligible for lifePLUS Protect default and:
- you don’t have to opt in, your cover starts the day after you leave the ADF, or
- you do have to opt in, your cover starts on the date you let us know you want to opt in.
If you’ve applied for Income Protection cover, or you have increased your cover under lifePLUS Protect choice, your cover starts on the date that the insurer accepts your application.
More information is in the Insurance and your ADF Super booklet.
What happens if I change employers after leaving the ADF?
If you change employers after you’ve left the ADF, you can keep your insurance going as long as there is enough in your account to cover the cost of monthly insurance premium deductions.
And any time you start with a new employer, remember that super’s your money so you can ask them to contribute to your ADF Super account. Visit Choosing a super fund on the Australian Government’s Moneysmart’s website for more information.
Who gets my super when I die?
Generally, you can’t leave your super to a particular person in your will, so please let us know how you want your super to be paid when you die. While you don’t have to nominate a beneficiary, it helps us know who you want to look after financially after you’ve gone. To nominate, change or cancel a beneficiary nomination, just complete our Binding beneficiary nomination form.
If you nominate a person who’s not your legal personal representative, and that person is not a dependant under superannuation law when you die, the information you have provided will be taken into consideration but the benefit will be paid at our discretion—as guided by superannuation law.
You’ll need to renew your nomination every three years for it to stay valid, and we’ll do our best to contact you before the three-year period ends.
If you don’t have an eligible spouse or any eligible children, you can nominate beneficiaries who you would like to receive your ADF Cover death benefits if you die. This is a non-binding nomination which means CSC may exercise its discretion in considering your nomination.
You take the wheel—view or change your cover online
If you’re a current ADF Super customer with lifePLUS Protect cover, logging into your account to:
- see your cover all in one place,
- apply to change your cover to suit your needs through lifePLUS Protect choice, or
- cancel your cover at any time.
Next I'd like to...
Make a claim with lifePLUS Protect
With CSC, the process of making a claim is simple. We guide you every step of the way.Read more
Eligibility for lifePLUS Protect
If you’ve left the ADF and kept your ADF Super account, you may be eligible for lifePLUS Protect cover.Find out more
We've got you covered with lifePLUS Protect
Our flexible lifePLUS Protect insurance cover for your civilian life gives you peace of mind today and secures your tomorrow.Find out more