Frequently asked questions

Here we have provided answers to some of our most commonly asked questions

End of financial year information

When will I receive my 2018-19 Annual Statement?

The delivery of your Annual Statement depends on your scheme, and your mailing preferences. If you’ve chosen to receive your annual member statement electronically, you’ll get an email letting you know that your statement is ready to view in your Member Services Online. If you haven't used Member Services Online before, or if you've forgotten your details, it only takes a few minutes to register for an account or reset your password.

If you’ve elected to receive your statement by post, or if we don’t have an email address on file for you, your statement will be posted to your nominated address.

See the table below for our distribution schedule:

When Scheme What
First and second Week of August PSS, CSS, DFRDB and MilitarySuper Electronic statements
Third and fourth week of August PSSap, ADF and CSCri Electronic and Mail statements
First week of September PSS, CSS, DFRDB and MilitarySuper

Mail Statements

Will my pension change?

On the first payday in January and July each year, we adjust your pension in line with the  Consumer Price Index (CPI). If the CPI rises (and exceeds the previous March or September CPI figure), we increase your pension payment. If the CPI falls or stays the same, your pension will not change. When the Australian Bureau of Statistics releases the CPI figures, we update the calculation tables on our website. 

If you're receiving a pension, your CPI letter should now be available online. Simply login to Pensioner Services Online and go to the My Statements/My CPI and Tax Information section to view the update.

If you haven't used pensioner online services before, or if you've forgotten your details, it only takes a few minutes to register for an account or reset your password.

Remember, if this is your first year receiving a pension your member number will have changed, and you will now need to log in to pensioner services online. Make sure your member number is followed by the two letters of your scheme. E.g. 71234567PS for PSS, or N11111DF for DFRDB

We've also published a payday calendar to help you keep track of your pension paydays. 

When will my income statement/PAYG information be available?

For those customers who receive a pension through one of our schemes, your PAYG information is available to view in your pensioner services online account now.
We have also reported all of our PAYG information to the ATO, and this should be available to view in your MyGov account under 'income statements' soon. 

Australian Government's Protecting Your Super package

Why do I currently pay an exit fee ?

CSC currently charges exit fees because processing a member request to exit the fund incurs administration costs.

Charging an exit fee was a fair way to ensure the remaining members in the fund didn't bear the cost of those members choosing to exit the fund (by way of higher Administration costs).

There are a few different reasons why the Government has decided to ban regulated superannuation funds from charging exit fees. These include making it easier for people to switch funds and the fact that some other superannuation funds have used exit fees as a disincentive to leave their fund by charging higher than reasonable fees. We anticipate that this change will affect most exit fees currently charged by CSC. Once we know more about how this change will impact your fees, we will communicate that to you.

Note: While PYSP changes impact some defined benefit schemes, CSC's defined benefit schemes (such as CSS, PSS, and MilitarySuper) are not impacted because they do not charge exit or administration fees.

CSC currently only charges exit fees on a cost recovery basis (i.e. we do not make any profit from exit fees). We will communicate with you in relation to any changes to our fees as a result of this new change.

 Why haven't you removed exit fees before now? 

As a trusted and transparent Superannuation provider, CSC only charges exit fees to members on a cost recovery basis.

CSC does not make a profit from exit fees or retain any of these amounts for our benefit as we are a Not-for-profit / profit-for-members organisation.

Currently, the exit fees charged to members reflect long term commercial arrangements that CSC entered into with our service providers several years ago. This was done originally to allow CSC to maintain the current administration fees charged to members without passing on regular fee increases to exit fees charged to CSC.

However, through this legislation change we will be working through what these arrangements means for you, us and our service providers.

Once we know more on this, we will communicate that to you.

Note: While PYSP changes impact some defined benefit schemes, CSC's defined benefit schemes (such as CSS, PSS, and MilitarySuper) are not impacted because they do not charge exit or administration fees.

What does a 3% cap on fees mean for me? 

This change is only likely affect you if you have an account balance of $6,000 or less at the end of a financial year (for example 30 June 2019).

Although the details of the cap are yet to be determined and the cap will not apply to all fees that members pay, CSC will be required to ensure that members of its regulated superannuation schemes who have an account balance less than $6,000 at the end of a financial year do not pay more than 3% of their account balance for certain fees and costs (generally administration and Investment related fees) for that financial year.

CSC is working with our service providers to implement this change as soon as practicable and with as little impact to all Customers as possible.

Note: While PYSP changes impact some defined benefit schemes, CSC's defined benefit schemes (such as CSS, PSS, and MilitarySuper) are not impacted because they do not charge exit or administration fees.

I have a preserved account,what will this mean for me / do I have an ‘Inactive low-balance account’ which will be transferred to the ATO? 

If your account balance is over $6,000 and/or you have taken any active steps in relation to your account in the past 16 months (including making contributions, investment switches or beneficiary nomination changes) it is likely you do not have an 'inactive low-balance account'

There are only limited circumstances where an account will be transferred to the ATO as a result of this change. In general, the account has to satisfy all of the following requirements:

  • You and your employer have not made any contributions to your account for 16 months
  • The balance of your account is less than $6,000
  • Your account does not support, or relate to, a defined benefit
  • There is no insurance attached to your account
  • You have made no investment option switch for 16 months
  • You have made no beneficiary nomination change for 16 months
  • You have not nominated in writing that you do not want to be an inactive member; and
  • You do not owe any money to your super fund.

It is unlikely that you would meet all of these criteria, however, if you do happen to meet these criteria then your account will be transferred to the ATO as unclaimed money. The ATO will then seek to reunite you with any amounts and consolidate to the active account that they have on record (generally within 28 days). We will contact you if there is a risk that this is likely to occur so that you have the opportunity to opt to remain a member if this is what you want to do.

Note:  Defined benefit schemes (such as CSS, PSS, and MilitarySuper) are exempt from being transferred to the ATO as 'Inactive Low-Balance' accounts.

I have an inactive account but I don’t want my insurance to lapse, what do I need to do to retain it? 

You don't have to do anything now. We will communicate with all impacted PSSap customers and let you know how you can ensure you retain your lifePLUS cover.

Note: These insurance changes do not apply to certain accounts, including defined benefit accounts (such as PSS, MilitarySuper, and CSS), and accounts of ADF Super members. 

Logging in to online services

I am having trouble logging into my account, has something changed?

When you log into your account, make sure that your scheme is selected and showing correctly in the top navigation bar.

Your login page may have two login options—one for members, and one for pensioners—so make sure you’re clicking the right button. 

If you are in receipt of a pension, make sure your membership number is followed by the two letters of your scheme. For example; 71234567PS for PSS pensioners, or N11111DF for DFRDB pensioners.

What do I do if I can’t remember my AGS number, or my Service number?

Your AGS number can be found on your last payslip, annual super statement or payment split notice (if you are an associate member through a family law settlement). Your Service number is your service prefix (A, N, R) followed by your PM Key.

If you have a MyGov account, your member/account number may also be listed in your ATO record. You can find these details under 'fund information' in the Super menu. 

How can I create an account for online services? 

Go to, the Login page and click ‘register now’ under the ‘first time user’ heading.

You will need to have your AGS, Service Number, or Pension Reference number handy. Your AGS number can be found on your last payslip, annual super statement, or payment split notice (if you are an associate member through a family law settlement). Your Service number is your service prefix ('A' for Army, 'N' for Navy, or 'R' for air-force) followed by your PM Key.

I can't access my online services account from my work computer, is something wrong?

Some government networks may have security firewalls in place which prevent access to our online services. If you are experiencing difficulty logging on to your account using your work computer, please try again from a personal device. 

Joining a super fund managed by CSC

Do I have to work for the government to join a superannuation fund managed by CSC? 

Because CSC looks after super funds designed specifically for Australian Government and Defence Force employees, you do have to be, or have been, an Australian Government employee or member of the Australian Defence Force to join a CSC scheme. 

If I’m leaving the public service or defence force, can I stay with my CSC fund?

If you’re a PSSap customer with an active, or preserved PSSap account, you can continue contributing to your PSSap fund when you leave the public service. See our changing jobs page for more information.

Measures announced in the 2019-20 Federal Budget also mean that ADF Super customers may be able to choose to remain with that fund after they have discharged from the Australian Defence Force. However, as the legislation required for this change has not yet been drafted the timing for implementation is unknown. See our rundown of the 2019-20 budget announcement for more information. 

Why aren’t defined benefit schemes open to new members? 

Defined benefit schemes (like CSS, PSS, and MillitarySuper) are great if you intend to stay with the same employer, such as the ADF or APS, for a long time. They were designed at a time where people stayed with one employer for the majority of their career.

Nowadays, the average person will work 17 jobs over five different careers! And so, with the changing nature of the Australian workforce, defined benefit schemes were deemed no longer fit for purpose and new schemes were opened to better suit the modern workforce.

The current type of superannuation accounts (aka ‘accumulation schemes’) are designed to be flexible and can move with you if you change your employment arrangement. 

Forms and factsheets

How do I return a completed form?

All of our forms should have lodgement advice on them—usually on the back page. If you come across a form that does not have instructions on how to submit, you can email it to

What is the difference between a form and a factsheet?

A form is the way we gather information from you, a factsheet is the way we get information to you. You can find forms and factsheets under the 'advice and resources menu'. If you're after a factsheet, make sure you click the 'factsheets' tab on the 'factsheets and publications' page.

You will need to select your scheme from the drop down menu of scheme options to see forms and factsheets that are relevant to you.

Insurance and beneficiaries

Can I cancel my insurance through super? 

How do I change my nominated beneficiary? 

About CSC

What is your USI?

The Unique Superannuation Identifier (USI) for each of our schemes is listed below:

  • PSSap 65127917725001
  • ADF Super 90302247344001
  • MSBS 50925523120001
  • PSS 74172177893001
  • CSS 19415776361001
  • DFRDB 39798362763001

The ATO website can also help you find details about other super funds you may have. 

Where can I find your ABN?

Easy! Just scroll down. CSC's ABN and all of our scheme ABNs are listed at the bottom of our webpages. 

Where can I find information about CSC’s ethical investments? 

You can find information about CSC’s ethical investments in our product disclosure statements. You can also read more in our Stewardship Factsheet.

We believe that the most successful companies are those that consider the long-term sustainability of their business, not just the short-term drivers of current profitability.

We don’t automatically avoid companies associated with a negative theme (such as a high carbon footprint). Instead, we identify those companies at risk, work to understand the implications for their share price, and, where appropriate and practicable, support those companies to undertake activities that will reduce any undesirable outcome.

For example, we engage with companies identified as having large carbon footprints, and support them through a responsible transition of resources and processes towards reducing any undesirable climate consequences from the operation of their business.

General questions

Is having money in super really different from keeping money in the bank? 

There are benefits and risks to having money in your super account, rather than in the bank.

One of the benefits of super is that tax rates on super are often lower than regular tax on income and normal investment earnings, and you pay no tax on investment earnings if you are taking your super benefit as a pension. See our Financial Fitness page for more info.

Another benefit of money in your super account is the power of compounding returns. Thanks to the power of compounding, super can be wealth building! As each year goes by, any earnings that your super makes are reinvested—essentially giving you the potential to earn investment returns on investment returns.

However, like any other investment, super is subject to the risk of investment loss. There are also restrictions on when and how you can access funds held in super, where there generally aren’t those restrictions placed on the funds you hold in your bank account.

Find out more in our 'Super 101' video.

Before you make any big financial decisions, we recommend you seek professional advice from a licensed financial planner*.

How can I vary the tax I pay on my pension? 

If you want to start or stop claiming the tax free threshold on your CSC pension you need to complete an ATO Tax file number declaration form and indicate your preference at Q8. Once signed, this form can be emailed to, or posted to GPO Box 2252, Canberra City, 2601.

If you want CSC to withhold additional tax, you can email and advise us of the additional amount to be deducted each fortnight, either as a percentage or as a dollar amount. Please make sure you include your name, pension reference number and date of birth in this email. 

How can I consolidate my super?

There are different rules around consolidation for each of our schemes. To find out more about consolidating your super, see our ‘consolidate other super’ page and ensure you have selected your scheme from the drop-down menu.  

Whether or not it is beneficial for you to consolidate your super depends on your personal objectives, financial situation and needs. Before making a decision you should consider the impact of consolidation on any existing insurance you hold through your existing funds, and you may want to seek professional advice from a licensed financial planner*.

How can I update my contact details? 

You can update your contact details at any time using online services. Simply log in and update your details.

If you’re currently a serving member of the ADF, your personal information, including your address, is regularly reported to us by the Department of Defence.  

Where can I find the i-estimator tool?

For PSS, CSS, Military Super and DFRDB schemes, the i-estimator can be found in your member online services.

How can I make an appointment to see a financial planner?

Call us at 1300 277 777, or email us at, and we’ll ask you a few questions to pinpoint exactly what kind of advice you need, and schedule a face-to-face or telephone appointment with one of our authorised financial planners.

How do I let you know I’ve changed my name? 

If your current employer is contributing super to your CSC super Fund, they should be able to update your name on their payroll system and send the update through to us. Check with your HR department to see if this is possible.

If your HR department can’t update us with your change of name, or if your employer doesn’t contribute to your CSC Fund, you will need to let us know directly by sending in a change of details form.

Note: For us to be able to change your name on our records, we need certified copies of your:

  • marriage certificate with your new name; OR
  • birth certificate if you have changed back to your maiden name; OR
  • change of name certificate if you have changed your name by deed poll.

 Your identity documents must prove your original name (as held on our system), as well as how you transitioned from that name to your new name. All documents must be certified as true and correct copies by an appropriate person, such as a lawyer or Justice of the Peace. 

How can I transfer/rollover super into my PSSap account? 

To transfer super from another fund into your PSSap account, you can complete the Transfer your super to PSSap form or consolidate super into PSSap with our Super Finder tool. 

You need to be a contributing PSSap member to transfer super into PSSap.

Share this article

Thanks for visiting our website.

Would you like to provide some feedback for us?