Death and Total and Permanent Disability
No matter what happens, you want to be sure you’re financially secure. Our Death and Total and Permanent Disability cover helps by protecting you and your family if you become permanently injured or ill, or if you die.
Notify CSC of the death of a loved one
If you’re a family member or representative of a CSC member or pensioner who has passed away, you should get in touch to let us know as soon as you're able.
At CSC, we care about our Customers and their families, and wish them only healthy and happy lives.
But when bad things happen that you’d never dreamed could, it’s easy to see the future as bleak, especially when you’re unable to work.
Our Death and Total Permanent Disability (TPD) cover provides for you and your family when you can't go back to work because of a permanent illness or injury. And if you die, benefits are paid to your nominated beneficiaries as a lump sum to help them manage the changes ahead.
Key insurance points
Cover is generally based on your age
If you're with lifePLUS auto, you’ll automatically receive cover that changes depending on your age. Note that age- and account-based conditions apply to automatic cover, see Eligibility for Insurance and Cover for details.
Your Death and TPD cover is usually higher when you need it most—during life stages where you might face bigger costs or more expenses, like when you buy a home or start a family. Your cover is usually lower when you’re likely to rely on insurance the least—like during life stages when your income is highest, when you're contributing more to your super and when your mortgage decreases.
If you're on lifePLUS choice, you can choose age-based Death and TPD cover at any time. Note, if your current level of cover is less than the aged-based cover that would normally apply to you, you'll have to go through a full insurance application process.
You can fix or tailor your cover
If you have lifePLUS auto cover, you can:
- fix your Death and TPD cover under lifePLUS choice so that it stays the same every year until you turn 61.
- apply for extra cover under lifePLUS choice through a full insurance application process.
Use our LIFEapp calculator to help you decide how much Death, TPD and Income Protection insurance you may need. You’ll need to enter some personal and financial details to crunch the numbers.
You might be able to transfer other insurance to CSC
If you currently have Death and TPD cover with other insurers or super funds, you might be able to transfer this to us without undergoing medical checks and the underwriting process. To do this:
- you must be under 55 and an Australian resident,
- you must be transferring a maximum of $2m overall, with only $1m per transfer,
- you must cancel your cover with the other super funds or insurers, and
- you must satisfactorily complete the Transfer of cover form and the insurer accepts and approves it.
Complete and return the Transfer of cover form to apply. The full terms and conditions are on the form.
Key benefits points
Your benefit is paid as a lump sum
Even when the worst happens, there are still expenses, bills and debts to pay.
When you have Death and TPD cover, we pay your insurance benefits to you as a lump sum if you are permanently ill or injured, or to your dependents if you die.
If you have lifePLUS auto cover, our default insurance option, you have a fixed level of Death and TPD cover.
You might be eligible for a Terminal Illness benefit
If you have a terminal illness, you might be eligible to claim a Terminal Illness benefit that’s equal to the amount of your Death cover.
To apply for a Terminal Illness benefit, you must have a Terminal Illness, and this means:
- you suffer from an illness, or have incurred an injury, which two Medical Practitioners have certified, jointly or separately, and in the opinion of the insurer, is likely to result in your death within 24 months from the date of the certification (the “certification period”) regardless of any reasonable treatment undertaken, and
- at least one of the Medical Practitioners is a specialist practising in an area related to the illness or injury suffered by you, and
- the certification period has not ended for each of the certificates.
You’ll find more in the Insurance and your PSSap Super booklet.
When we can’t pay Death and TPD benefits
Insurance always comes with some exceptions and restrictions.
We can’t pay your Death or TPD benefits if your situation was caused wholly or partly, or directly or indirectly, by:
- active service in the armed forces or peacekeeping forces of any country or territory or foreign or international organisation, armed or unarmed,
- participation in a combat or fighting force of any country or territory or foreign or international organisation, or
- a self-inflicted act, while either sane or insane where Limited Cover applies or within 13 months from the date of acceptance of any underwritten cover.
When does my cover start?
When does my cover stop?
Your Death and TPD cover stops on the date whichever of the following events happens first:
- You stop being a PSSap Customer
- You turn 70
- You die
- You tell us in writing that you want to cancel your cover
- Your unpaid insurance premiums are 60 days overdue
- Sixty days have passed since you stopped working for an eligible PSSap employer and you don’t meet the conditions to keep your cover
- You’re not an Australian resident and you permanently leave Australia, or you become ineligible to work in Australia
- You make a claim for terminal illness or TPD benefits. Note that if your Death cover is higher than your TPD cover, your remaining Death cover will continue.
- We don’t receive a contribution to your super account for a continuous period of 16 months (your account becomes inactive) and you haven’t written to us to let us know you’d like to keep your cover while your account is inactive
- We terminate the policy with the insurer (if this happens we’ll give you 30 days’ notice ahead of doing this)
Can I cancel my lifePLUS cover?
You can cancel your Death and TPD cover at any time, and you can also cancel your TPD cover. But you can’t cancel only your Death cover.
If you cancel cover and want to be covered again in the future, you will have to go through a full insurance application process. To talk to us before cancelling your lifePLUS cover, call 1300 725 171. We're here to help.
Or, if you’re ready to cancel your cover, log in to your account and go to the Insurance section.
Back with rehab
Work often means more than just getting a pay packet. For many, it gives us purpose and fulfilment, along with friends, colleagues and a sense of community. If you are injured or sick, we’ll do all we can to help you get back to work.Find out more
Protecting your income
For most of us, work is how we cover the cost of living. If you have lifePLUS Income Protection and you are injured or sick, we’ve got you covered. It’s one less thing to worry about.Find out more