Insurance & invalidity
Need information on Insurance & invalidity arrangements? We can help
You need to know…
There are some important differences in insurance and invalidity arrangements between PSSap and the PSS and CSS schemes.
In PSS and CSS, there is no insurance component as the superannuation benefit includes an invalidity and death benefit. On the other hand, PSSap draws a distinction between a claim on insurance due to illness or disability and a claim for superannuation due to total and permanent disability or a terminal illness. The exception is for PSS members who may have optional Additional Death and Invalidity Cover (ADIC), which is a separate payment.
A claim for PSSap insurance is member driven. You might not even be aware that a member has made a claim, and they have to grant specific permission to let you speak to us about their insurance.
PSSap members have access to insurance through lifePLUS cover. lifePLUS has two offerings: lifePLUS auto cover and lifePLUS choice cover.
lifePLUS auto cover is the default insurance for new PSSap members. Most new members will receive lifePLUS auto cover on joining. lifePLUS choice cover is an optional extra that allows members to customise insurance to suit their personal needs.
For all the details, see lifePLUS.
What you need to do…
- Ensure that new employees are reported via SuperStream as soon as possible
- Encourage new employees to call us as they’ll need to make important decisions about their insurance coverage when they join
- Report insurance salary in your regular SuperStream data and payments
- If no insurance salary is reported, employees’ insurance salary is defaulted to $47,000. This could mean that your employee is underinsured.
Ensure you report the member’s employment status so that we can work out their insurance cover
- Engage with CSC as early as possible
- We are here to help. If you have an employee who has a condition that could lead to invalidity retirement in the future, let us know.
- You shouldn’t wait for other processes, such as ComCare or outside rehabilitation efforts, to be completed before contacting us. We might be able to offer rehabilitation and wellness programs to help staff get back to work sooner.
Be aware that there is a 24 month qualification period before a person may be retired on invalidity grounds. This can be waived for certain conditions. During this time, every attempt will be made to help the member return to work.
We have all the information on the features of our PSSap insurance.
If you wish to pursue invalidity retirement for a PSSap member, you will need to submit the Application for Issue of Invalidity Retirement Certificate (SPC) form to us along with supporting evidence. You can find helpful information below:
In our guide on invalidity retirement, we detail the invalidity retirement process for CSS and PSS members, including reference to the requirement for employers to notify us of specific circumstances relating to the affected member so that assessment of their entitlement to pre-assessment payments (PAP) or partial invalidity pension (PIP) can occur. All employers are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the guidelines.
Information and calculators
Case managers and HR personnel can find invalidity information in:
- CSS and PSS invalidity notes
- CSS Partial Invalidity Pension (PIP) notes
- PSS Partial Invalidity Pension (PIP) notes
- PIP report checklist for medical officers
- PSS partial invalidity pension review
Calculators are also available:
Calculators provide a guide only; please verify all your results for accuracy.
Approved Medical Practitioners
Below is a list of the current providers of approved medical practitioners who are to be used when obtaining a report on whether or not a member is totally and permanently incapacitated in preparation for an application for an invalidity retirement certificate.
|Provider||Contact details for bookings|
|AMLG||1300 554 361
|eReports||1300 130 963
|MedHealth Pty Ltd (MLCOA)||http://www.mlcoa.com.au/|
|Medico-Legal Reporting Services of Australia (MLRSA)||1300 130 963
|Medilaw||1300 130 963
|Red Health||1300 130 963
|Specialist Opinion Group (SOG)||1300 130 963
Next, I'd like to know more about...
Making a payment
Need information of paying contributions? We can help.Learn more
Rates & calculators
We provide you with everything you need to administer superannuation for your employeesLearn more
Employer service desk
PSSap, CSS and PSS employer enquiries? Our employer service desk can help.Learn more