Eligibility for Insurance and Cover
Generally, when you become a member of PSSap you’re automatically covered under lifePLUS. However, there are a few technicalities. Here’s everything you need to know.
Generally, when you join PSSap as a new member, either as a permanent employee or a contract employee engaged to work for more than 3 months, you’re covered by lifePLUS auto. But there are some conditions for each of the different types of cover:
- Income protection – you must be at least 14 and 9 months and less than 67 when you join PSSap.
- Death and TPD – you must have been at least 14 and 9 months and less than 65 when you join PSSap.
Note that if you’re a casual employee you’ll have to opt into Death, TPD and Income Protection if you want to be covered. Make sure to complete and submit the Application and Variation Form within 60 days of commencing employment.
If you want to apply for lifePLUS choice cover you will also have to meet some conditions.
- Income protection – Be at least 14 and 9 months and less than 67
- Death and TPD – Be at least 14 and 9 months and less than 70
If you are a contributing member of PSS or CSS, you can apply for lifePLUS choice cover if you join PSSap as an Ancillary member.
If you are a PSSap member from a period of Australian Public Service employment before October 2016 and haven’t held lifePLUS choice cover since then, you may still be eligible for lifePLUS auto.
However, if you left the Australian Public Service before 2016 and received some contributions to your super since then from a non-APS employer, you won’t be eligible for lifePLUS auto. Contact us if this is the case and we’ll see what we can do to help.
If you’re a current CSC PSSap member, you can see your cover in the one place at PSSap Member Online. You can cancel your cover at any time, or move into lifePLUS choice to tailor it to suit your needs.
From when am I covered?
- If you’re a permanent employee or contract employee working for more than 3 months – the start of the pay period covered by your first Super Guarantee contribution
- If you’re a casual employee with lifePLUS auto – when we receive your decision to opt-in and information about your base annual salary
- If you’ve applied for lifePLUS choice – you’re covered from the date your application is accepted by the insurer.
CSC products are designed to help you meet your goals
An Ancillary Membership allows you to make additional contributions into an accumulation account to take advantage of flexible contribution and investment options.Learn more
Next, I'd like to know more about...
Protecting your income
lifePLUS Income Protection keeps you earning while injured or sick.Learn more
Death and Total and Permanent Disability
CSC gives you and your family the financial support you need when the worst happens.Learn more
Manage your super through Online ServicesOnline Services