About our Graduate Program
Come and join us in the financial services sector! Our Graduate Program will give you the skills you need to start a successful career.
Want to apply?
Applications open on 1 June and close 30 June every year.
If applications are not currently open, you can pre-register your interest by joining our Talent Community.
We're with you every step of the way to:
- guide you through the selection process
- send you all the information you need
- remind you when it’s time to apply.
What does the program look like?
We take five graduates into the program each year. As a new graduate with CSC, you’ll start on 3 February 2020 and finish the program in June 2021. Over the course of the program you can expect:
- formal and informal learning opportunities
- rotations through the three areas of our business—customer, investments and corporate
- meaningful work that contributes to better outcomes for our members
- collaboration with other graduates on corporate and business unit specific projects
- regular feedback from your manager, team, and rotation manager.
All graduate positions are located in the heart of Canberra city and near the buzzing cultural precinct of New Acton.
What will I learn?
You will learn skills to help you grow both personally, and professionally in the organisation, including:
- superannuation knowledge
- customer service
- project management
- time management
- change management
- interpersonal skills
- written and verbal communication skills
- much more!
The 70:20:10 Model
There’s structure, but we’re flexible about what will best help you. The 70:20:10 model shows our approach to learning and development at CSC.
- Learn on the job 70% of the time by getting involved in a range of projects, and working towards real objectives.
- Learn by engaging with others 20% of the time by forming strong working relationships, through networking and coaching sessions, and by receiving formal and informal feedback from your buddy, manager, rotation manager, and other people you work with at CSC.
- Learn through formal training 10% of the time in structured programs, workshops, eLearning modules and other professional development opportunities.
What is CSC looking for?
We value people who will:
- focus on better outcomes for our members
- think boldly
- treat others how you wish to be treated
- listen openly and talk straight
- work together.
Who’s there to help me?
You’ll have plenty of support during the program—great people to learn from, a buddy to help you settle in and show you how we work, and opportunities to participate in coaching and mentor sessions.
Am I eligible?
To apply for our Graduate Program you will need to:
- have the right to work in Australia for the duration of the program
- have completed a university degree in 2017, 2018 or 2019
- live in, or be willing to relocate to, Canberra. Please see ‘What's the salary?' below for details on relocation assistance available.
We are looking for graduates from diverse academic backgrounds, so there are no specific degree or grade point averages required.
You don't need to be an Australian Citizen or have Permanent Residency, but you must be able to provide a visa that proves you have the right to work in Australia from 3 February 2020 – 30 June 2021.
Will I be guaranteed a job at the end of the program?
On successful completion of the program you will be offered a permanent role at CSC.
You can find more information about CSC here.
What's the salary?
The salary for those who are accepted into the Graduate Program is $70,000 p.a. including superannuation.
If you live interstate you may also be eligible to be reimbursed for relocation expenses of up to $2000 per person.
What’s the selection process? All the tips & tricks
Step 1: Job Preview & Online Application
The Job Preview is just for you. There are no wrong or right answers and your results aren't provided to CSC. Use this tool to get a real idea of what it’s like working at CSC, and to help you decide if our grad program is right for you.
The Online Application is where you enter your details and upload your resume. Please submit your application as early as possible. Our system can become very busy just before the closing date.
You can find more information on CSC here.
Step 2: Values Questionnaire
Step 3: Online Testing (Occupational Personality & Ability Testing)
The Online Testing is made up of two tests:
- The Occupational Personality Questionnaire looks at how you like to work. It shows us how you see yourself in terms of your personality; for example, the way you relate to others, and how you deal with feelings and emotions.
- There are no rights or wrongs when answering the questionnaire, although some behaviours may be more or less appropriate to certain situations.
- The General Ability Testing looks at your ability to carry out various aspects of a job; for example, your verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning abilities.
Resources that may help you get ready for online testing
Step 4: Online Interview
The Online Interview is a one-way interview where you will be asked to answer some questions, and record your responses.
This is not your typical interview, and the questions are not behavioural based.
We want to get to know you better and hear your perspective on the world. Be prepared to tell us more about you and what you’re passionate about.
Step 5: Business Engagement Day (Group Activity & Behavioural Interview)
The Business Engagement Day (BED) is where we get to meet you face-to-face.
We will assist you by arranging and paying for interstate travel to our Business Engagement Day.
On the day you will:
- answer behavioural style questions in a face to face interview with two interviewers
- participate in a group activity
- meet and network with CSC staff, including senior leaders, and our 2019 graduate cohort.
Step 6: Employment Offer
The Employment Offer starts with a verbal offer made in a phone call from our Graduate Advisor.
If you accept the verbal offer you will be sent an email with a link to your employment contract.
You will have one week from the time you receive the email to accept your employment offer online.
We know it's a long time between accepting the offer and your start date. If you do accept the offer, we will make sure to stay in touch so you know:
- what to expect from the Grad program
- what's happening at CSC
- what's happening in Canberra, which is especially important for those of you who are moving from interstate.
What happens if I don't make it into the Graduate Program?
Many of our previous Graduate Program applicants have ended up in other permanent roles at CSC.
The Graduate Program selection process is very competitive. Even if you didn't make it very far in this process, you can still apply for other roles at CSC.
You can browse vacant positions on our careers page.
Need more info?
Contact our Graduate Program Advisor at SuperFuture@csc.gov.au
What others have said about the application process ...